20110102

Four hours in Zagreb

I visited Zagreb briefly during my stay in Ljubljana. It was an interesting and exciting experience. It was not long ago when Ljubljana and Zagreb were part Yugoslavia, but now they seem to be from different planets. While Ljubljana's buildings are in good shape, Zagreb looks more like a city after a bombing. Many facades are falling down and there is a rather mystique and oriental atmosphere in the city. Despite of Zagreb's dowdy appearance it feels a metropole unlike Ljubljana. As there was not too much money in the communist era, the 60's and 70's ugly architecture has not destroyed the old quarters. My stay was short and the weather was cold, so I did not see too much of Zagreb. I will definitely go back on a sunny day.





















No comments:

Post a Comment